Saturday, May 1, 2010

Why Liberia?

Why Liberia? Why am I interested in a project on this country, and why are you interested in reading a blog on Liberia? I'd like to know . . .

I chose Liberia as an area that had experienced conflict to focus an exploration on because of one main point of contact I have had. I have not traveled there, rather, I met someone who had traveled from there a few years ago. President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf visited Ft. Worth, Texas in the spring of 2008 to speak at the General Conference of the United Methodist Church. Her grace and wisdom really stayed with me. After learning more about Liberia and its recent history, I became even more interested.

So now, your turn: what brings you to this page?

1 comment:

  1. I too am knocked out by Ellen Johnston Sirleaf...she's my heroine! I so hope she can turn her small, trashed country around. It would provide such a stunning model for good governance in Africa, which is sorely needed. Did you know that she is one of only two heads of State in the world protected by American Secret Service? The loyalties in Liberia were so uncertain after Charles Taylor that local security could not be trusted.

    ReplyDelete

Timeline: Liberian History

Timeline: Liberian History

Timeline: Liberian Conflict and Reconstruction 1980 - Present

Timeline: Liberian Conflict and Reconstruction 1980 - Present